On our travels around the UK we're always on the look out for new places to eat out, and for (often elusive) Gluten Free Fish & Chip Shops!
|Tucking into my first plate of Gluten Free Fish & Chips at Rossi's in Swansea in 2009|
To date we've found Gluten Free Fish & Chips to be served in the following locations:
- Rossi's Fish & Chips - Swansea, Wales
- Rhos Harbour Bistro - Colwyn Bay, Wales
- The Paragon Fish & Chip Shop - Birchington, Kent
- Old Harbour Fish Bar - Weymouth, Dorset
- Baldock, Herts (Fish 'N' Chick'n') - GF served on the last Tuesday of the month
- Cox's of Letchworth - Letchworth Garden City, Herts - GF available daily
- Fairwater Fish & Chip Bar - Fairwater (Coed Eva), Cwmbran, Wales - GF available daily
- Deep Blue - Woburn Sands, Bucks
- The Big Fish - Milverton, Leamington Spa
- The Big Fish - Hockley Heath, Solihull - Update: September 2012 - Now called Nelson's and only serves GF on Wednesday's
- Merivale Tea Rooms - Great Yarmouth, Norfolk
- Kingfisher Chip Shop and Restaurant - Keswick
- Godfrey's Fish & Chips - Harpenden, Herts
- Ivan's Fish & Chips - Cradley Heath, West Midlands - serves Gluten Free Fish & Chips between 5pm and 8pm on Fridays and Saturdays
On our trip to Southwold a couple of years ago we also noticed that once a month they serve Gluten Free Fish & Chips in the Restuarant on the Pier.
Churchills Chippy in Southend-on-Sea offer Gluten Free Fish & Chips, but on our visit we found out that while the batter mix is made to be GF, the food is still cooked in the same oil and fryer as Gluten containing foods.
On a trip to South Shields Emily spotted that Colmans Fish & Chips Shop does Gluten Free options every last Saturday of the month.
A recent tweet from Deep Blue Restaurants (a chain of Fish & Chip shops - of which Woburn Sands is one) told me that they have eight restaurants now serving Gluten Free. Great news.
I've heard via Facebook that Chamberlain's Quality Fish & Chips in Birmingham can do Gluten Free Fish & Chips every day apart from between 5.30pm and 8.30pm on Friday and Saturday evenings. I noticed that they sell Estrella Damm Duara beer there too!
Over the last year I have been sending reviews of any places that I find offering Gluten Free options/catering for Coeliacs to the Travel Gluten Free website. I also tweet any that I find too.
- Blog Post - Great Gluten Free Tea Rooms
- Blog Post - Gluten Free Ales, Beers and Lagers
- Coeliac UK - The charity working for people with coeliac disease and dermatitis herpetiformis (DH)