Monday, May 11, 2020

Coeliac Awareness Week, aka Gluten Free Community Week


This week is UK Coeliac Awareness Week, aka Gluten Free Community Week.



This week is Coeliac Awareness Week, aka Gluten Free Community Week

Gluten Free Community Week runs from the 11th to the 17th May.

Other important dates for your gluten free diary:


  • May is Celiac Awareness Month.
  • International Coeliac Day is on Saturday 16th May.
  • National Celiac Disease Awareness Day is on the 13th September this year.
  • The week before Christmas is Gluten Free Baking Week.


About Coeliac Disease


Coeliac Disease (Celiac in the US and Canada) is a lifelong autoimmune disease caused by intolerance to gluten and the only treatment is to adhere to a strict lifelong gluten free diet.

In the UK it's estimated that 1 in 100 people have the condition.

My Coeliacversary


I was diagnosed with Coeliac Disease in June 2008.

Having suffered from a range of symptoms for around ten years I finally received a positive diagnosis of Coeliac Disease following some 'interesting' and in-depth tests and procedures in 2008. It came as a relief to finally have a name for the mysterious cause of my illnesses and ailments, but at the time I was only given a brief summary and told that I'd have to "cut down on bread and beer". It was only later when I met with a Gastroenterologist and a dietitian that I found out that the only treatment for people with Coeliac Disease is a strict, life-long gluten free diet.

While having a life-long condition such as Coeliac Disease can be a pain - and horrible if I 'get glutened' - having the disease has had some positives. I've met great people since my diagnosis and have made some brilliant friends who I've met through Coeliac groups. I've also blogged a lot about living with the condition and the great free from food and drink I've found since 2008.

No comments: