Paul Johnson claims his first-ever Scrap Iron Cup Victory
Paul ‘The Overtaker’ Johnson was in the pink on Saturday 9th April 2011 as he landed his first-ever minigolf Scrap Iron Cup win, with a 2&1 victory over Seth ‘Clockwork Orange’ Thomas at the 18-hole Strokes Adventure Golf course in Margate, Kent.
'Squire' Richard Gottfried was unable to retain the Scrap Iron Cup, and was defeated by Johnson at the first hole of the sudden-death play-off, after both players had scored 29(+5) in the 12-hole Strokeplay first-round. Seth ‘Clockwork Orange’ Thomas qualified for the final with a round of 28(+4).
New Scrap Iron Cup Champion Paul Johnson was understandably tickled pink by his victory, which comes at the ninth attempt, and after three previous appearances in the final.
Former Scrap Iron Cup champion Owen 'Jackpot' Johnson, Leo ‘Bosman’ Kukielka and previous Scrap Iron Cup finalists Cindy Kukielka and Peter ‘TCAA’ Jones were the other competitors at the tournament.
Scrap Iron Cup
Venue: Strokes Adventure Golf, Margate
Round One – Strokeplay
1. Seth Thomas – 28
2. Paul Johnson – 29 (won a play-off to qualify for the final)
3. Richard Gottfried – 29
4. Owen Johnson – 36
5. Leo Kukielka – 34
6. Cindy Kukielka – 37
A play-off was required between Paul Johnson & Richard Gottfried to decide the second finalist. This was played on the 13th hole of the Strokes Adventure Golf layout, and was decided on the first extra-hole as Gottfried hit a three while Johnson scored a two.
Round Two – Matchplay
Seth Thomas vs. Paul Johnson
Result – Paul Johnson wins 2&1
Scrap Iron Cup - Hall of Fame
2011 - #9 - Paul Johnson beat Seth Thomas - Margate
2011 - #8 - Richard Gottfried beat Peter Jones - Liverpool
2011 - #7 - Seth Thomas beat Paul Johnson - Liverpool
2011 - #6 - Seth Thomas beat Owen Johnson - Hither Green
2011 - #5 - Seth Thomas beat Richard Gottfried - Bristol
2011 - #4 - Richard Gottfried beat Cindy Kukielka - Birmingham
2010 - #3 - Owen Johnson beat Richard Gottfried - Birmingham
2010 - #2 - Richard Gottfried beat Paul Johnson - Weymouth
2010 - #1 - Richard Gottfried beat Paul Johnson - Sandbanks
Rules of the Scrap Iron Cup
• Played between members of the Midlands Minigolf Club
• Played in either groups of two, or one group, in round one
• Groups are drawn at random (often using the 'balls in a hat' technique)
• Round one is a strokeplay match played over 7, 9, 11, 12 or 18 holes
• The two players with the top scores after round one qualify for the second round/final
• Round two is a matchplay match played over 7, 9, 12 or 18 holes
• The winner of the matchplay match becomes the Scrap Iron Cup* Champion**
* The Johnson's Scrap Iron Cup (aka the 'NABBA ENGLAND 95 CLASS TWO WINNER' Trophy) remains the property of Owen and Paul Johnson