Sunday, October 09, 2016

Playing Petanque in Edgeley, Stockport

Playing boules at the Woodstock Pétanque Club in Edgeley, Stockport.

Following our attendance at the Woodstock Pétanque Club open day in August, Emily and I joined the club and went along for our second competition day today.

The club play mostly for fun - but with a nice competitive edge - and the games are played in a doubles or triples format, which helps to mix things up a bit.

We recently bought some Geologic boules - after scouring the aisles of Decathlon sports superstores in Warrington and Stockport - and have been itching to get them scuffed up on the Edgeley terrain.

Playing Petanque in Edgeley, Stockport.
Emily's shinier boule is closer to the coche than my base-boule

Before we had a proper game Emily and I faced-off in a 'friendly', with Emily picking up the win 13-11 after I snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

Emily and her winning end in our warm-up game at Woodstock Pétanque Club
Emily and her winning end

I managed to get my first win in club competition in the first of the two pairs games I played in the afternoon. Teaming with Carol H we defeated the duo of Keith and David H 13-7.

A winning blind pairs team of Carol H and Richard Golf
My Petanque name

My record at Woodstock Pétanque Club is now 1 win and 4 defeats. I'm certainly living up to my ham and egger name...

The Woodstock Pétanque Club meets-up on the 2nd and 4th Sunday of each month and welcomes new players. It costs just £10 for the annual membership, with a £1 fee per week when you play - with prizes up for grabs. The season runs from March to October. Although that may be extended into November if the weather isn't too bad and there are enough hardy souls to play against.

Check out the Woodstock Pétanque Club website and on Twitter and Facebook for more details.

Related blog posts:
Pétanque
Petanque
Boules
Petanque in Stockport

Links:
Woodstock Pétanque Club on Twitter
Woodstock Pétanque Club on Facebook
Woodstock Pétanque Club website
English Pétanque Association
- Decathlon
- Geologic

No comments: