The National Foundation for Celiac Awareness (NFCA) is supporting Celiac Awareness Month that will take place throughout May.
Coeliac Disease (Celiac in the US and Canada) is a lifelong autoimmune disease caused by intolerance to gluten and the only treatment is to adhere to a strict lifelong gluten free diet.
In the UK it's estimated that 1 in 100 people have the condition, in the USA the figure is 1 in 133.
It's important to know and remember that Celiac/Coeliac is NOT an allergy, it's NOT a preference, it's NOT a fad, it's NOT a diet, it's NOT an intolerance, it's NOT a choice - it's an AUTOIMMUNE DISEASE.
|I was diagnosed with Coeliac Disease in May 2008|
In the UK, Coeliac Awareness Week is taking place from 11 to 17 May. For more information check out the Coeliac UK website and the Awareness Week page. Last year I was Minigolfing gluten free in Margate during Coeliac Awareness Week.
Visit the Celiac Central website for more information on their work and Celiac Awareness Day.
In the USA Celiac Awareness Day is on Sunday 13 September. For more information visit the Celiac Central website and see my blog post about Celiac Awareness Day 2014.
Related blog posts:
- Coeliac Awareness Week 2015
- Celiac Awareness Day 2014
- Coeliac UK Awareness Week 2014 and the Gluten-free guarantee
- Minigolfing gluten free in Margate
- What a Day, Week and Month! (2013)
- Funny things about being a Coeliac
- Read my Gluten Free Journey blog on the Udi's gluten free website
- National Foundation for Celiac Awareness (NFCA) / Celiac Central
- Coeliac UK