Thursday, July 10, 2014

New Gluten Free Beer and Cakes at M&S

New gluten free products - including beer and cakes - in the Made Without Range by Marks & Spencer.

Emily and I are big fans of Marks & Spencer as in the last few years they have added more and more products to the 'Made Without Wheat' range.

In addition to the special Made Without Wheat gluten free branded line, M&S has been making a lot of other items gluten free - such as the new BBQ and Grill range - which include our particular favourites of pulled pork and the cheese & chilli 'posh dogs'.

While having a browse in the Luton branch today I spotted there are now two new gluten free beers available!

Gluten Free beer at Marks and Spencer
The new Marks & Spencer beers - the Belgian Golden Ale on the left and the Belgian Premium Pilsner on the right.

I'm a big fan of beer, ale and lager and after my diagnosis with Coeliac Disease in 2008 following years of illness I received the additional hammer blow of being told that I wouldn't be able to have a pint of beer again.

Since then I have found that there are a number of gluten free tipples available and details of those beers I've found and drunk are available on my compilation blog post about Gluten Free Ales, Beers and Lagers.

The Belgian Golden Ale and Belgian Premium Pilsner are brewed by Brouwerij De Brabandere in West Flanders, Belgium and have been specially brewed for Marks & Spencer.

The new M&S Ale and Pilsner both contain Barley and in the information on the bottle it says "Barley gluten is removed during the brewing process to leave a great tasting gluten free beer."

I bought a bottle of each beer. I haven't tried them yet, but I'm sure they'll get drunk over the weekend.

M&S have also recently started selling four new cakes. I spotted three of these in the Luton branch, while the Party Cake was spotted in the Ipswich store.

The Made Without Wheat Extremely Chocolatey Celebration Cake by M&S
The Made Without Wheat Extremely Chocolatey Celebration Cake by M&S. I bought one of these for our recent wedding anniversary.

The Made Without Wheat Extremely Chocolatey Celebration Cake was nice, I liked it more than Emily, but we both agreed the base of the cake was a little too dry. Not a bad amount of chocolate cake for the £10 price tag. I'd buy it again, and at least this time I'd have it all to myself.

The M&S Made Without Wheat Carrot & Walnut Cake and Coffee and Walnut Cake. I haven't tried these. Yet.
The M&S Made Without Wheat Carrot & Walnut Cake and Coffee and Walnut Cake. I haven't tried these. Yet.

The Marks and Spencer Made Without Wheat 'Party Cake'. I hope I get one of these on my next birthday.
The M&S Made Without Wheat 'Party Cake'. I hope I get one of these on my next birthday.

Check out the M&S website for details of the Made Without Wheat range and the other Gluten Free items they offer. I spotted some different cakes available there too!

Links:
- Marks & Spencer website
- Marks & Spencer Made Without Wheat page
Brouwerij De Brabandere
- Coeliac UK website

Related blog posts:
- Gluten Free blog posts on The Ham & Egger Files
- Gluten Free Ales, Beers and Lagers
- A blogger's gluten free sandwich
- Gluten Free Finds in London (and beyond) - October 2010

2 comments:

Richard Gottfried said...

While writing my recent blog post on the gluten free products in the Made Without Wheat range at Marks and Spencer I spotted a few products on the M&S website that I thought COULDN’T be gluten free.

I thought that the British Ham Platter and the Large Meat Platter were mislabelled as tehy were listed as gluten free, however both contained "breaded ham"!?

I contacted M&S to seek clarification on the matter and I received a very quick reply confirming that the ham is breaded using gluten free crumbs. Amazing!

Since being diagnosed with Coeliac Disease in 2008 I haven't seen or heard of a gluten free breaded ham. And in the early years of the gluten free diet I had a ‘run-in’ with some breaded ham at a buffet (once bitten, twice shy).

We popped into M&S while in Stevenage today and Emily spotted the packet ham had a gluten free symbol on the front of the packet, so I had to pick them up. Very tasty they were too.

Link:
- Marks & Spencer website
- Marks & Spencer Made Without Wheat webpage

Richard Gottfried said...

There are five new gluten free tortilla chip flavours available at Marks & Spencer. Plus two new quiches in the Made Without Wheat range.

Blog - Nacho nacho man.