Friday, June 13, 2014

Gluten - my Kryptonite

My friend (and perhaps enemy!) Paul O'Conner was recently shopping in London's Chinatown and sent me this photo of what he described as "my kryptonite". He's not wrong!

Photo of some Gluten
Mmmm, Kimlan Peanut Gluten. Warning: Contains Gluten. Photo by Paul O'Connor (June 2014)

I know what I'll be getting from Paul for my next birthday then.

Gluten is a protein found in wheat, rye, oats and barley (and peanuts 'cut' with Fried Wheat Gluten by the look of that bottle in the picture). For people with Coeliac Disease gluten is a very dangerous substance that causes all manner of health problems. Check out the Coeliac UK website for more information on Coeliac Disease.

Paul's interesting (and evil) find reminds me of the time Emily and I spotted some terrible merchandising in a health food shop in Kentish Town. On that occasion we found the 'Gluten Free Vegetable Suet' right next to bags of pure 'Gluten'!

One of my bugbears about shopping as a Coeliac is that I often see shops (including the big supermarkets) stocking bags of gluten free and gluten-containing flour side-by-side on the shelf. Such a waste, as due to the cross-contamination I wouldn't touch it with a barge-pole.

A bag of Vital Wheat Gluten Flour. Deadly to Coeliacs
A bag of Vital Wheat Gluten Flour. Deadly to Coeliacs

Related blog posts:
- Hmm, Some Bizarre Gluten & Gluten Free Shelf Stacking!
- Funny things about being a Coeliac
- Gluten Free
- Coeliac

No comments: